Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Real Life.

I have been planning this shoot out in my mind for months. I wanted to do it in January for a bunch of reasons. One being that it's an indoor shoot and it's really cold out! Another reason... my son turned 4 this month, and my daughter is now 2 1/2. I thought it would be so nice to have these pictures to remember this time in their lives.



These pictures did not turn out the way I was expecting... but much, much, better :) I am in LOVE with these pictures and I cannot wait to hang them all over my kid's room!




I took these photos in my bedroom on my bed. I have one small window facing north. The fact that there is snow everywhere helped reflect plenty of light into the room. I used my 50 mm 1.8 lens during the whole shoot. I used the aperture priority setting (Av), and I  had the aperture set to 2.8... right where I like it. I switched the ISO between 400 to 800 during the shoot, just testing things out. Luckily the shutter was quick enough (usually between 1/100-1/200s) to capture some movement. I love having my 50 mm lens for low light... I am finally getting used to the focal length. 




I told my kids to dance, jump and play... and they did. We had some music on and that got their energy going. They had a lot of fun. Then they decided to pull out some books... not part of the plan, but it worked. So. Perfectly. I love these photos :)






This is why I love lifestyle photographs. So simple and beautiful. Relaxed and candid. I love that my kids had fun the whole time I was taking pictures... no tears, or begging for them to pose just right. I just followed their lead and things worked out just perfectly.

7 comments:

Emily January 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

I love the black and white picture of them playing on their bed! Too cute!

Celeste January 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

I think you have a real knack for this style. I especially love the little feet peeking out from under the book. :) Also, I think photos work out especially well when you love the subjects...there's a special interaction then. Great photos!

Bethany January 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

Bah. I'll probably come and look at this shoot every day of my life. I love my niece/nephew. So much.

Jan January 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM  

Super cute, Mrs. Bateman!! I love them :)

(I have the same lens, btw :) I love it, too!)

Jessica January 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

Thanks girls! You are all so sweet!

Bethany... I will probably look at this shoot everyday of my life as well. Especially after I get prints, I love my kiddos :)

Kim Davis January 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

These are so beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do this year!! These also make me really look forward to having my own little one to photograph...

Barbara February 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

These are some of my favorites!

Jessica Bateman Photography

Jessica Bateman Photography
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am an on-location lifestyle photographer based out of West Lafayette Indiana. I am experienced in photographing babies, children, maternity, couples and families. Feel free to look around and contact me if you are interested in a photo session.

Become a follower!

Inspiring Photographers

Count them up...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Related Posts with Thumbnails