Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4: What They Wear.

My kids had fun with the theme today. I pulled out all of their shoes... even the ones I put away for the winter. They had fun putting on one pair, taking them off and putting on another pair. Perfect activity for a winter day... right? ;) My kids love having a choice in what they wear. Especially shoes. Makiah wears a different pair every time we leave the house. Sometimes I have to sneak the pair that I want her to wear into the car, that way I can change her shoes when we get to where we are going. 

Today's lesson (for the joy of LOVE class) talked a little bit about metering. I find that I usually lighten most of my photos in Photoshop after I load them onto my computer. So, what I try to do is meter +2/3 overexposure (having your meter set two lines (stops) above 0). That way it exposes the photo a touch lighter than the "correct" exposure (having your meter set at 0). I took a few photos with the +2/3 exposure, but it didn't work. It was much too bright being so close to the window. So I stopped the exposure back down to 0 and it looked much better. Each time I take photos I play around with my settings and the light until it looks just how I want it. That way I can minimize editing later on... though I still like to play around in Photoshop for finishing touches. 

Understanding Exposure by, Bryan Peterson is a great book to learn more about metering, shutter speed, aperture, and getting that perfect exposure. I am always going back to this book for insight and tips that help me so much. 



(My kids had so much fun lining up all of their shoes in a row... I love that they had as much fun as I did while taking these photos :))

2 comments:

Celeste February 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

Soooooo darling! Whenever we walk by the kids' clothes section at Walmart, I almost always have to stop, or at least comment on the cuteness of little shoes, hats, dresses, and ties! I don't know why adult shoes can't be so cute, too! I would TOTALLY wear T-Rex rainboots or pink and sparkly converse. :)

Kim Davis February 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM  

These are so fun! I'm loving seeing what you do every day. I wish I had a little kiddo to photograph during this class, but I'm still liking all the tips and tricks.

Jessica Bateman Photography

Jessica Bateman Photography
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am an on-location lifestyle photographer based out of West Lafayette Indiana. I am experienced in photographing babies, children, maternity, couples and families. Feel free to look around and contact me if you are interested in a photo session.

Become a follower!

Inspiring Photographers

Count them up...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Related Posts with Thumbnails